Published: Aug. 22, 2006 Share Share via TwitterShare via FacebookShare via LinkedInShare via E-mail The University of Colorado at Boulder’s Housing & Dining Services is extending various benefits to freshmen waiting for on-campus housing in an effort to give them some of the same experiences they would have if they lived in a residence hall. As of today, the number of waitlisted freshmen hoping to live in a campus residence hall totaled 28. “For all of our waitlisted students, we are giving them free lunch programs for the residence halls, free tutoring in the residence halls and we have a student and staff group assigned to work with this group of students so they will feel more involved in the campus experience during New Student Welcome,” said Deb Coffin, executive director of the Housing & Dining Services Department. For a waitlisted student who does not live in a residence hall one full semester, the value of the meal program would come to $560 for the semester. The meal plan will provide the waitlisted students the opportunity to eat with friends, socialize and build relationships. “Outreach activities also are planned for waitlisted students, creating special activities for them before and during the first week of classes,” she said. Meanwhile, residence hall rooms are being snapped up by late-applying freshmen as fast as they appear on the cancellation list, according to Coffin. In addition to returning non-freshmen and transfer students, approximately 5,375 freshmen had been placed in the university’s 22 residence halls by the end of last week. Bed spaces were increased this year by reopening the 207 beds in the College Inn at 17th Street and Arapahoe Avenue. The College Inn has not been used for campus housing since spring 2005. Also, a few freshmen are being housed temporarily in the Bear Creek Apartments south of the Williams Village complex. Coffin said about 28 freshmen will be in apartments at Bear Creek temporarily until vacancies become available in the residence halls. Vacancies could take another month to materialize. All of the students currently waitlisted are students who did not apply for housing until June, said Coffin. Freshmen typically apply for housing as early as November for the next academic year, with the bulk of applications arriving in March and April. Freshmen are usually assigned a room by late May or June. Some of the currently waitlisted students first turned in their applications during the last 10 days, Coffin said, which is considered very late, especially in a year with so many freshmen. This year’s freshman class is on track to be one of the largest, if not the largest, in CU-Boulder history. An estimated 5,500 freshmen are expected to show up for classes this fall. The largest freshman class previously numbered 5,571 in fall 2003. If some freshmen wind up commuting from home this fall — or in the case of nonresident students living in an apartment — Housing & Dining Services is committed to doing as much as it can to make those students’ experiences match those of students on campus, Coffin said. “The Division of Student Affairs, Housing & Dining Services and Off-Campus Student Housing are all working together to create a great experience for students who are waitlisted,” Coffin said. “We’re trying to make the situation as positive as we can for the students.” For more information on CU-Boulder housing go to housing.colorado.edu/ .
Leave a Reply Cancel ReplyYou must be logged in to post a comment. DOC NOMADS Documentary Film Directing Erasmus Mundus Master → Summer School Grants for Students and Young Academics from Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe LinkedIn 0 Reddit Share 0 +1 Pocket Tweet Open Call: Western Balkans Y-Peer Training of Trainers Similar Stories Voluntary Work-camp in Slovakia Deadline: 11 September, 2013Open to: volunteers from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia, Hungary, Czech Republic and PolandBenefits: Participants are to gain new knowledge and skills via working with leaders and whilst working together. Part of travel expenses will be coveredDescriptionBecome now part of a Voluntary Work-camp in Slovakia that is part of project „Learn, Volunteer, Share“ financed by the Visegrad Fund. The camp being organized by C.A.R.D.O. will take place in Bratislava, Slovakia from September 16th – September 23th 2013.Voluntary camp will be organised as combination of educational and practical activities. All participants will have chance to learn about volunteering, European citizenship, Community work, Social inclusion and Cultural and Environmental diversity. Main focus will be on “learning by doing” and active participation in slovak days of voluntarism, cultural and community actions and workshops so all participants will gain new knowledge and skills from leaders, each other’s, beneficiaries and community.Activities: Education for camp participants on different topics; different workshops – better communication among people and inclusion of young people; Organisation and implementation of voluntary work action – within days of volunteerism it will be together with young people cleaning the environment; Insight into the action of other organizations; Option to be life book in the life library; Promotion of EVS and EU programmes and values that will contribute to the youth mobility and information, photo and video workshops etc.Eligibility10 volunteers will have the opportunity to be part of the voluntary work-camp! Participants will be young people from 18-30 years, gender balanced and interested in inter-cultural learning, volunteering, creative work and environmental and community youth work.BenefitsAll participants will gain new knowledge and skills via working with leaders and whilst working together. Part of travel expenses will be covered.Accommodation will be in Apartments (Bratislava, Old Town) How to Apply?Please send your application to [email protected] until 11th of September.Check out the program hereCheck out the official call here ← Research Fellowships for Scientists from Developing Countries, India The Fellowship for Journalistic Excellence September 10, 2013 Published by stefan
The Los Angeles Times:Does being bilingual help children learn to prioritize information, provide a defense against some effects of Alzheimer’s or just provide a great workout for the brain?All of the above, according to studies discussed Friday at the 2011 American Assn. for the Advancement of Science meeting in Washington D.C., where a number of researchers presented on the benefits of being bilingual.Read the whole story: The Los Angeles Times More of our Members in the Media >
UK: An Alstom Class 180 Adelante diesel-hydraulic multiple-unit is to be converted to run on a combination of diesel and liquefied natural gas in a dual-fuel technology demonstration project.One car of the DMU which Arriva-owned open access inter-city operator Grand Central leases from Angel Trains is to be equipped with dual-fuel technology company G-volution’s Optimiser system, which is used in the road sector. The modifications are expected to be straightforward, enabling trials on the national network to start later this year.The project is being funded by the Rail Safety & Standards Board, which previously funded a 2016 study which concluded that dual-fuel operation could reduce fuel costs by 30% and cut particulate and CO2 emissions. This could help meet the government’s long-term decarbonisation ambitions, including the aim of removing diesel-only trains from the network by 2040. ‘This trial has the potential to demonstrate the very real and important environmental and cost benefits of dual-fuel technology to the wider rail industry’, said Grand Central Managing Director Richard McClean on May 22. ‘We are looking forward to seeing the results of the study and discovering how dual-fuel technology can be developed in the future.’
LadBaby is looking to raise the nation’s spirits by launching the first LadBaby’s Pub Lock-In tonight.Following two consecutive Christmas number one singles – I Love Sausage Rolls and We Built This City on Sausage Rolls – LadBaby (Mark Hoyle) and LadBabyMum (Roxanne Hoyle) bring the pub to your living room with a fun-filled evening of festivities on Facebook and YouTube from 9pm.They commented, “Starting tonight at 9pm, we are the nation’s landlords as we launch our first ever LadBaby’s Pub Lock-In on Facebook and YouTube. At a time when community spirit and togetherness couldn’t be more needed, we’re throwing open the doors to our pub (garden shed) and inviting the nation to join us for 30 minutes of fun and entertainment to lift the spirits of everyone who needs it.With borrowed furniture from our local boozer, a special celebrity guest singing performing live from their living room, a quick-fire pub quiz and even an attempt to learn a new bar trick, we’re going to try to spread a bit of positivity to the UK. So whether you’re a parent tired after a week of home schooling your kids, an NHS hero fighting the virus on the frontlines or just someone looking for some company on a Saturday night, we’re here and ready to spread the love online!”Join in from 9pm tonight on Facebook and YouTube.Originally from Nottingham, LadBaby lives in Hertfordshire with his wife LadBabyMum and their two children, Phoenix and Kobe. Supported by his family, LadBaby started documenting his journey to responsible parenthood in 2016, with his Facebook page and YouTube channel charting his transition from lad-to-dad. His social media channels now boast more than 6.2 million followers, with his weekly videos reaching millions of people around the world.
Barbados Prime Minister Freundel Stuart Caricom prepared to take Britain to court over reparationsThe 15-member Caribbean Community (Caricom) countries have sent a formal letter of complaint to Britain seeking reparation for slavery.The letter, which was written by Barbados Prime Minister Freundel Stuart and sent to the British Foreign Office, calls on London to formally acknowledge the region’s demands for payment for the transatlantic slave trade.Caricom has said it will not release the contents of the letter, which was sent last week by Stuart — who is the chairman of the Caricom subcommittee on reparations — until there is a reply by the British Prime Minister David Cameron.But Caricom has warned that it is prepared, as its next option, to take the matter to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Netherlands for a ruling. The regional grouping says it prefers a negotiated settlement of the matter.Last October, on an official visit to Jamaica, Prime Minister Cameron acknowledged the “wounds of slavery run very deep” but avoided speaking on the issue of reparation as he addressed a joint sitting of the Parliament.Cameron, the first British Prime Minister to visit Jamaica for the last 14 years, said the slave trade was one “from which history has drawn the bitterest of lessons”.“That the Caribbean has emerged from the long, dark shadows that it casts is testament to the resilience and spirit of its people. I acknowledge that these wounds run very deep indeed, but I do hope that as friends, who have gone through so much together since those darkest of times, we can move on from this painful legacy and continue to build for the future,” Cameron said in his only remarks to the transatlantic slave trade,“ Cameron said.But former Jamaica Prime Minister P J Patterson criticised Cameron for seeking to “trivialise and diminish the significance of 300 years of British enslavement of Africans”.In an open letter to the British leader, Patterson said the slave trade is still “a most heinous crime against humanity — a stain which cannot be removed merely by the passage of time”.Last month, Sir Hilary Beckles, who chairs the Caricom Reparations Commission, said Caribbean countries were not looking for “handouts” as a result of its call for reparation for the slave trade.Professor Beckles, who is also Chancellor of the University of the West Indies (UWI), told a public lecture on Reparation organised by Oxford University, that a suggestion by European countries that ‘they have now moved on… sorry it is a closed chapter there is nothing to discuss” does not negate the call for compensation.The Caribbean countries say they will allow “a two-year period to elapse” before formally taking the matter to the World Court for adjudication.Leaders have already hired a British law firm, which won payment for Kenyan tribesmen, to represent their case both to the British Government and to the court.
One Columbian national and three Dominicans have been detained following the seizure of 70 kilograms of cocaine on an open keel boat off the west coast of the island on Monday, December 10th.According to a report by a police spokesman, the seizure was as a result of a joint operation between Coast Guard officials and members of the Drug Squad.The open keel boat which was powered by two 200 horse power engines was also seized.The police also said that on Sunday, law enforcement authorities detained one man after seven kilograms of cocaine had been found in a vehicle in which he was the sole occupant in Massacre.The street value of the drugs was not disclosed.Dominica Vibes News 10 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Share LocalNews Columbian and Dominicans detained in drug bust by: – December 10, 2012 Share Share Tweet
Simone Zaza in action for Juventus Juventus have offered West Ham the chance to take Simone Zaza on loan.The striker is ready to leave Turin this summer after falling down the pecking order and making just 19 league appearances last season.The Italian had been set to join Wolfsburg on loan, but the transfer has collapsed during the final negotiations.Now, according to reports in Italy, Juventus have offered West Ham the chance to land Zaza this summer.The Hammers are in desperate need of a striker before the transfer window shuts after being hit by injuries and they are keeping tabs on Manchester City forward Wilfried Bony.However, Juve are now seeing if West Ham would prefer to sign Zaza instead by proposing a loan deal worth £5m.The Premier League side would also have the opportunity to sign the 25-year-old on a permanent deal next summer by forking over an extra £19m. 1
15 August 2007South Africa will only consider culling its elephants as a last resort, after either translocation or contraception, says the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism.The department’s chief director, Leseho Sello, was briefing a parliamentary committee on environmental affairs and tourism this week on managing the country’s vast elephant populationSello said Environment and Tourism Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk had instructed that culling only be considered as a last resort, while noting that massive local and international pressure from animal welfare groups and others made culling a very unattractive option.The culling of these huge but gentle beasts is a delicate and extremely emotional issue for many people, she said.South Africa is developing a strategy to deal with the increasing numbers of elephants in the country, which presents a threat to the sustainability of the environment they inhabit.Sello was unable to provide the committee with actual figures of elephant populations, or the number of elephants the Kruger National Park could handle, but one Member of Parliament said “anecdotal evidence” pointed to a population in excess of 6 000.Sello said reports indicate that the large numbers of elephants in areas like the Kruger National Park could harm the environment to such a point where large sections of the park could become completely barren.This would reduce the animals’ own food sources and ultimately result in a situation where the growth of the population could then threaten their survival.She added that neighbouring countries like Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Tanzania were facing similar problems.Anti-culling lobbyistsSello told the committee that lobbyists had sent many petitions against elephant culling to Van Schalkwyk, with some even threatening to organise tourist boycotts should the government resort to culling to reduce elephant populations.Given that tourism is a major contributor to South Africa’s economy, and with eco-tourism being one of the fastest growing areas in the sector, such actions would be undesirable.“It is not wise to fix one problem and thereby create an even bigger one,” Sello said, adding that a moratorium on culling had been in place since the mid-1990s.However, she said one could not conserve elephants at the cost of all other species.TranslocationTranslocation of the animals remained a key option but was also one that needed to be handled sensitively, because the social nature of elephants meant that entire herds would need to be moved to single destinations, making it an expensive option.While many of South Africa’s neighbouring countries also have large populations, the committee pointed out that countries emerging from recent wars had radically reduced animal populations and that they could benefit from such translocations.Such countries include the Democratic Republic of Congo, Angola and Mozambique, with the latter already being a recipient of several elephants.Sello added that other countries, such as Tunisia, were continually approaching the ministry asking for animals.She said that once the department had finalised its strategy, it would need to be applied uniformly across the country, and that both government-funded parks and private game farms with elephants, most of whom are represented by the Elephant Management Owner’s Association, would need to abide by the regulations.Source: BuaNews
A scene from Qatar’s new safety video Qatar Airways has scored a goal with a new safety video featuring star soccer players in a humorous locker room scenarioBrazilian footballer Neymar Jr, FC Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski and AS Roma legend Cafu are led through the in-flight safety routine by British actors Jason Thorpe and Ross Hatt.READ: The 20 best airlines for 2020.Set in a pre-game locker room with Thorpe as the coach and Hatt his assistant, the new safety video was directed and co-written by Peter Lydon and comes in at a fairly hefty six minutes.Watch the video:The star appearances see Lewandowski demonstrate how to use a life jacket, Cafu help a younger version of himself attach an oxygen mask and Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar Jr guide Qsuite passengers.The video is the latest in a growing trend that has prompted flight attendants to question whether the entertaining in-flight videos detract from the safety message they intend to impart.But the creative agency behind the video argues humor has been shown to increase memory.“So there seems to be no better way to communicate such important information than by making it fun,” said Kalle Henzen, the executive creative director at 180 Kingsday.Qatar Airways senior vice president marketing and communications Salam Al Shawa said safety was a priority at the airline and it wanted to ensure everyone, including frequent travelers, watched the safety briefings.“The wonderfully creative concept from 180 Kingsday will capture our passengers’ attention whilst providing a fun, light-hearted video to get the in-flight entertainment underway,” she said.“The level of quality and attention to detail in this video is paramount and I am sure the content will both inform and amuse our global passengers of all ages.”The video capitalizes on Qatar’s sponsorship of a number of top-level sporting events and football clubs around the globe, including AS Roma, Boca Juniors and FC Bayern Munich.The 2022 FIFA World Cup is due to take place in Qatar from late November to mid-December, a departure from the usual mid-year timetable.