Health Ministry signs MoU to explore AI-based solutions in combating TB Menopause to become the next game-changer in global femtech solutions industry by 2025 Wadhwani AI will support National TB programme become AI-ready which would include, developing, piloting, and deploying AI-based solutionsThe Central TB Division of the Health Ministry has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Wadhwani Institute for Artificial Intelligence to explore the application of cutting-edge Artificial Intelligence technology in its fight against TB. The MoU was signed by Vikas Sheel, Joint Secretary, HFW and Dr P Anandan, CEO, Wadhwani AI.As part of the collaboration, Wadhwani AI would be supporting National TB programme become AI-ready which would include, developing, piloting, and deploying AI-based solutions. It would support the programme in vulnerability and hot-spot mapping, modelling novel methods of screening and diagnostics and enabling decision support for care-givers apart from supporting the RNTCP in adoption of other AI technologies.The Revised National TB Control Programme has been at the forefront of adoption of newer technologies in healthcare. Artificial Intelligence (AI) provides a unique opportunity for the health sector, bringing efficiency, saving resources and bringing accuracy in interpretation and enhancing quality of service delivery. Its use in this sector has an ample scope to improve outcomes, especially in situations where resources are limited. India is committed to ending TB by 2025, five years ahead of the Global Sustainable Development targets. Related Posts By EH News Bureau on August 30, 2019 Share Phoenix Business Consulting invests in telehealth platform Healpha Heartfulness group of organisations launches ‘Healthcare by Heartfulness’ COVID care app Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals releases first “Comprehensive Textbook of COVID-19” Comments (0) Governance News WHO tri-regional policy dialogue seeks solutions to challenges facing international mobility of health professionals Add Comment Read Article MaxiVision Eye Hospitals launches “Mucormycosis Early Detection Centre” The missing informal workers in India’s vaccine story
Attacks on Ebola treatment centers (ETCs) in the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s (DRC’s) outbreak epicenter continued to reverberate a day after the strike on the Butembo facility, with Doctors Without Borders (MSF) evacuating medical staff from the area amid a report of causalities in security services and efforts to find patients who fled the violence.Along with fresh details about the attack, the World Health Organization (WHO) called the events deplorable and warned that the aftermath could increase transmission.MSF suspends patient care in hot spotMSF said assailants set some of the Butembo compound’s facilities and vehicles on fire, and while the blazes were contained and no staff or patients were hurt, teams were forced to stop patient care. The nonprofit the ETC housed 57 patients at the time, including 15 with confirmed Ebola infections. All patients still in the ETC were transferred to a transit center.Given a similar attack on an MSF facility in Katwa 3 days earlier that killed a caregiver, “MSF has evacuated staff from the area for their safety pending a thorough analysis of the risks associated with continuing to provide medical care there,” the organization said in a news release.Hugues Robert, MSF emergency desk manager, said in the release that the attacks endanger not only the lives of its staff members, but also the most vulnerable people at the heart of the response: the patients.”In light of these two violent incidents, we have no choice but to suspend our activities until further notice,” he said. “As medical responders, it is very painful to have to leave behind patients, their families, and other members of the community at such a critical time in the Ebola response.”MSF also manages Ebola activities in the North Kivu province towns of Kayna, Luberu, and Goma and operates two Ebola isolation facilities in the Ituri province cities of Bwanasura and Bunia.WHO: Deplorable, disrespectful attacksIn a statement today, the WHO said the attacks affect people’s lives and increase the risk of disease spread. “They are profoundly disrespectful of the dedicated work of local, regional and international responders,” the agency said.WHO and its partners are working to ensure patient and staff safety, and efforts are under way to expand the Katwa transit center where patients at the damaged ETCs have been moved. A top priority is quality clinical care for patients, and staff are working to find four patients who fled during the violence the WHO said.Though MSF and WHO staff are safe, security services sustained casualties, the WHO added. The group also said it is working closely with partners to determine steps to ensure the overall Ebola response is maintained.In a separate statement summarizing the latest outbreak trends, the WHO said Katwa and Butembo are the areas of highest concern, though small clusters of cases continue to pop up across a broad area.Though cases show a decreasing trend, the high proportion of community deaths and relatively low number of new cases from known contacts increase the risk of more transmission chains in affected communities, the agency said. And it worries that the attack on Katwa and Butembo ETCs could disrupt field activities.Attack caused 32 patients to fleeLate yesterday, the DRC’s health ministry shared new details about the attack on the Butembo ETC, which it said involved unidentified gunmen.Of the suspected patients, 32 fled, and, of the confirmed patients, most were found in their single rooms. But 4 fled, and efforts are under way to find them. The health ministry said all patients and medical staff are safe, and the patients were temporarily taken to a Butembo transit center run by the Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA).The attack came just 3 days after a similar event in Katwa at another MSF ETC, less than a week since a nurse was abducted and killed in Vuhovi.Cases grow to 885, with surge expectedMeanwhile, the outbreak total continues to grow, and in updates yesterday and today the health ministry reported 10 more cases, including 8 in Katwa, 1 in Butembo, and 1 in Kalunguta. The patient from Kalunguta is a known contact of an individual from Katwa who refused follow-up and vaccination.The latest cases push the overall number to 885, which includes 820 confirmed and 65 probable cases. Health officials are also investigating 227 suspected cases.Also, 4 more people died from their infections, 2 in Katwa and 1 each in Butembo and Kalunguta. All occurred in community settings, a factor known to increase the risk of transmission. Outbreak fatalities have now reached 555.In today’s update, the ministry said Oly Ilunga Kalenga, MD, the country’s health minister, along with a WHO representative from the DRC, visited Butembo today. The visit included the two ETC arson targets, to assess the situation on the ground.Kalenga said the incidents have greatly disrupted the Ebola response, and the attacks and threats have significantly slowed the Ebola response, especially contact follow-up, alert investigations, vaccination of contact, and infection prevention and control activities.”Thus, it will be expected a significant upsurge of cases in health areas of Katwa and Butembo in the coming days,” officials said, adding that Kalenga met with field teams to reassure them that they have full health ministry support. In meeting with Butembo’s mayor today, Kalenga said the Ebola epidemic will be impossible to control without security assurances for field workers.See also:Feb 28 MSF news releaseFeb 28 WHO statementFeb 28 WHO outbreak updateFeb 27 DRC updateFeb 28 DRC update
Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. LOS ANGELES (AP) Martin Landau, the chameleon-like actor who gained fame as the crafty master of disguise in the 1960s TV show “Mission: Impossible,” then capped a long and versatile career with an Oscar for his poignant portrayal of aging horror movie star Bela Lugosi in 1994’s “Ed Wood,” has died. He was 89.Landau died Saturday of unexpected complications during a short stay at UCLA Medical Center, his publicist Dick Guttman said.“Mission: Impossible,” which also starred Landau’s wife, Barbara Bain, became an immediate hit upon its debut in 1966. It remained on the air until 1973, but Landau and Bain left at the end of the show’s third season amid a financial dispute with the producers. They starred in the British-made sci-fi series “Space: 1999” from 1975 to 1977.Landau might have been a superstar but for a role he didn’t play – the pointy-eared starship Enterprise science officer, Mr. Spock. “Star Trek” creator Gene Rodenberry had offered him the half-Vulcan, half-human who attempts to rid his life of all emotion. Landau turned it down.“A character without emotions would have driven me crazy; I would have had to be lobotomized,” he explained in 2001. Instead, he chose “Mission: Impossible,” and Leonard Nimoy went on to everlasting fame as Spock.Ironically, Nimoy replaced Landau on “Mission: Impossible.”After a brief but impressive Broadway career, Landau had made an auspicious film debut in the late 1950s, playing a soldier in “Pork Chop Hill” and a villain in the Alfred Hitchcock classic “North By Northwest.”He enjoyed far less success after “Mission: Impossible,” however, finding he had been typecast as Rollin Hand, the top-secret mission team’s disguise wizard. His film career languished for more than a decade, reaching its nadir with his appearance in the 1981 TV movie “The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan’s Island.”He began to find redemption with a sympathetic role in “Tucker: The Man and his Dream,” the 1988 Francis Ford Coppola film that garnered Landau his first Oscar nomination.He was nominated again the next year for his turn as the adulterous husband in Woody Allen’s “Crimes and Misdemeanors.”His third nomination was for “Ed Wood,” director Tim Burton’s affectionate tribute to a man widely viewed as the worst Hollywood filmmaker of all time.“There was a 10-year period when everything I did was bad. I’d like to go back and turn all those films into guitar picks,” Landau said after accepting his Oscar.In “Ed Wood,” he portrayed Lugosi during his final years, when the Hungarian-born actor who had become famous as Count Dracula was ill, addicted to drugs and forced to make films with Ed Wood just to pay his bills. A gifted mimic trained in method acting, Landau had thoroughly researched the role.“I watched about 35 Lugosi movies, including ones that were worse than anything Ed Wood ever made,” he recalled in 2001. “Despite the trash, he had a certain dignity about him, whatever the role.”So did the New York-born Landau, who had studied drawing at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn and worked for a time as a New York Daily News cartoonist before switching careers at age 22.He had dabbled in acting before the switch, making his stage debut in 1951 at a Maine summer theater in “Detective Story” and off-Broadway in “First Love.”In 1955, he was among hundreds who applied to study at the prestigious Actors Studio and one of only two selected. The other was Steve McQueen.On Broadway, Landau won praise for his work in “Middle of the Night,” which starred Edward G. Robinson. He toured with the play until it reached Los Angeles, where he began his film career.Landau and Bain had two daughters, Susan and Juliet. They divorced in 1993. Oscar-winning actor Martin Landau dies at 89 SHARE Author: AP Published: July 17, 2017 6:02 AM EDT
Share RelatedPI-ISD opts for online classes all year as COVID-19 cases riseBy Gaige Davila [email protected] Point-Isabel Independent School District (PI-ISD) will hold classes online for the upcoming school year, as COVID-19 cases continue rising in the Laguna Madre area, Cameron County and across the state. In a unanimous decision, the PI-ISD School Board Trustees voted to delay on-campus instruction for the…July 20, 2020In “News”County order delays school, fall sports furtherBy Gaige Davila [email protected] Cameron County students cannot physically return to school until late September, a new order from Cameron County states. Cameron County Judge Eddie Treviño, Jr. and Cameron County Health Authority Dr. James Castillo ordered delaying in-person classroom instruction until after Monday, Sept. 28, citing rising COVID-19 cases…August 15, 2020In “News”PI-ISD considering both in-person and virtual learning for fall semesterBy Gaige Davila [email protected] Point Isabel Independent School District (PI-ISD) is considering offering in-person and virtual instruction for the 2020-2021 school year, as COVID-19 cases continue to rise in the Rio Grande Valley. PI-ISD superintendent Theresa Capistran told the PRESS in a phone call that the district is preparing for…July 4, 2020In “News” By Gaige [email protected] Isabel Independent School District (PI-ISD) students can continue attending school online, as the school district prepares partially reopening campuses on Sept. 21.Parents took to social media to share their concerns about a survey sent by PI-ISD on Sept. 8, asking parents for comments on their Phase 2 reopening plan, which advised that school’s would reopen for in-person classes on Sept. 21 for a select number of students. The next day, PI-ISD’s school board unanimously approved the district’s request for an extension waiver from the Texas Education Agency. The waiver would extend remote class instruction at PI-ISD for another four weeks, starting on Sept. 21, the same day PI-ISD must transition to having both in-person and virtual classes. According to TEA’s guidelines, some form of on-campus instruction must be held in Texas school districts during the extended four weeks of remote instruction, beginning with the fifth week of the school year. If there is no on-campus instruction, Texas school districts could risk losing funding from TEA.Capistran said TEA representatives told her that their requirements supersede Cameron County’s order to withhold in-person classes until after Sept. 28, insisting PI-ISD needed a transitional plan prepared for Sept. 21. With this in mind, PI-ISD created their Phase 2 reopening plan, beginning on Sept. 21, the fifth week of school. Students across the district having connectivity issues, and wish to return to school physically, are being given priority to return. For the sixth week, students choosing to return to the elementary schools, junior high and high school can begin attending classes in person. No more than 5 students can be in a classroom. If more than 5 students want to return to a specific class, the district will randomly draw interested students to attend. Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.
Advertisement 6heNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsz23Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ecfcevb( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) wggdWould you ever consider trying this?😱1vkCan your students do this? 🌚aos6vRoller skating! Powered by Firework Catalonian giants Barcelona could be in the potential race to sign Real Madrid star Isco as the Los Blancos’ newly appointed manager Santiago Solari continues to neglect the Spanish forward who has not started in Madrid’s last six games under the manager, sparking their fierce rivals’ interest in the player.Advertisement The Spain international playmaker has endured health issues this season, with surgery required in September for appendicitis, and according to Blaugrana legend Sergi Barjuan the more he sits out, the more leading clubs across Europe would welcome the opportunity to bring a proven performer onto their books, with a move from Camp Nou being a possibility as well.Isco, 26, joined Madrid in 2013 from Malaga and has had a remarkable career with the Galacticos having made over 250 appearances for them, scoring 33 goals in the Liga alone so far, and despite being hailed as one of the best attacking midfielders in Spain, Isco and Solari seem to have hit rock bottom apparently on disciplinary grounds according to reports in Spain. However, Solari has denied those claims and insisted that benching him is but a tactical decision.Advertisement The Spaniard won a La Liga title, four Champions League crowns and three Club World Cup triumphs with Madrid, and if things go on as they are at present, Barcelona could be joining Juventus and Arsenal in the race to fulfill Isco’s €700m buyout clause in exchange for his services at their respective clubs.Advertisement Advertisement
Upd. at 15:52 IN SPORT.ES Gerard Pique’s successful return to Barcelona in 2008 could be repeated in the summer of 2021. It’s a very similar case. Eric Garcia is another player who left the Barca youth set up but could now return at 19 years old with a big future ahead of him. CEST Pique was at Man United, Garcia at Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, and SPORT have learned his contract ends in 2021, not 2022, as had been circulated. Pique came back at 21, Garcia could at 20. The difference is Pique also had a year on loan at Zaragoza, but Eric has stayed under Guardiola’s tutelage. Jordi Gil ESPN informed of Barca’s interest in the player. The Catalans are following Garcia’s evolution. The relationship with his agent, Ivan de la Pena, is fluid as he represents other Barca youth players. Contact over this deal has not begun yet, with Barca working on more urgent cases for next season, but Garcia is on the agenda for the following summer. City have tried to renew his contract but he will not sign a new one. Un ‘nuevo’ Piqué para el Barça @jordigil 04/06/2020 Gerard Piqué, en su presentación como jugador del FC Barcelona en su retorno en 2008
By ANEEKA SIMONIS THE results are in, and it’s a draw. For the first time, the Pakenham Racing Club’s People’s…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Alana Mitchelson THIS year’s Berwick Flower Show raised more than $9000 for the Berwick Anglican Church and coincided with…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
A support group for methamphetamine users and their families is holding a public information session. The Ice Meltdown Project (TIMP)…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Cam Lucadou-Wells An alleged ice-affected driver has told a court he couldn’t remember how his car with a flat…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.