In this year’s meeting, Maryland will not have the now-graduated Johnson. McFarland missed last week’s game against Indiana with an injury. In their absence, junior Javon Leake filled in at lead running back, amassing career-highs in carries (23) and yards (158).Minnesota will have a full complement of running backs this season after redshirt seniors Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks missed last season’s meeting with injuries. Quarterback Tanner Morgan will get his first look at Maryland after serving as Annexstad’s backup during last year’s meeting. On defense, Winfield is back and is having a productive 2019 campaign with a career-high four interceptions, five passes defended and two sacks. Senior linebacker Kamal Martin who had seven tackles in the teams’ 2018 meeting is a game-time decision this week after suffering an injury against Rutgers.Quotables from the game:“I thought there was a lot of good and then a lot of bad,” head coach P.J. Fleck told reporters. “We were inconsistent in a lot of areas and when you are inconsistent on the road in the Big Ten, it’s going to be very difficult for you to win.”“They have speed everywhere,” Fleck told reporters of Maryland’s offense. “They did a tremendous job of their game plan, executing it perfectly and we didn’t go a very good job with ours.”“We knew it was going to be a tricky offense,” linebacker Thomas Barber told reporters. “Really that was just eyes and keys. If we mistook our keys just even for a split second as you saw, they could have some big runs.” Last time between Minnesota and MarylandThe Gophers have a 1-3 all-time record against the Terrapins. Nick JungheimOctober 21, 2019Jump to CommentsShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailPrintFinal:Maryland 42, Minnesota 13The Gophers’ second-ever visit to Maryland Stadium marked the start of what would become a four-game losing streak for the team as Minnesota dropped its first game of the season in blowout fashion.Maryland burned the Gophers’ defense for big gains throughout the afternoon, racking up 432 yards on 51 plays on the way to a 42-13 victory. Minnesota fell behind 14-0 in the first quarter and never cut that deficit to fewer than 11 points. The game was put out of reach for the Gophers when on the first drive of the second half Maryland linebacker Tre Watson intercepted quarterback Zack Annexstad and returned the pass for a touchdown, making the score 28-10.After allowing 27 points over the season’s first three games, the Minnesota defense struggled to contain the Terrapins’ offense. On the first drive of the game, the Gophers suffered a significant loss when redshirt sophomore Antoine Winfield Jr. left the game with a foot injury that sidelined him the rest of the 2018 season. Before the injury, Winfield had made his presence known as a vital contributor to the defense, recording 10 solo tackles, a fumble recovery and an interception.Without Winfield’s speed in the secondary, Minnesota was unable to limit explosive plays from the Terrapins. Immediately following Winfield’s departure, running back Anthony McFarland Jr. opened the scoring with a 26-yard touchdown run. Later in the first quarter, senior Ty Johnson added an 81-yard touchdown run. The Terrapins had three more long offensive touchdowns on the afternoon, on a 54-yard pass and runs of 64 and 21 yards.The game would foreshadow the struggles Minnesota’s defense would have over the next five weeks, particularly against the run. Maryland averaged 8.5 yards per rush attempt on the afternoon. Johnson led the way with 123 yards on 11 carries and McFarland added 112 yards on six attempts.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInPolice Scotland officers at Stranraer are investigating the theft of a white Citroen Berlingo van, registration mark SE07EHS. The van was stolen from Queen Street car park in Stranraer sometime between 1300 hours on Saturday 07 and 1000 hours on Sunday 08 October 2017.Constable Stephen Judge at Stranraer said “we have been carrying out door to door enquiries and checking CCTV in the area in an attempt to trace any witnesses.t this stage we want to hear from anyone who may have seen the van being driven out of the car park or has seen something suspicious in the local area. Anyone who can help should call us at Stranraer on 101, or if they wish to remain anonymous then through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
Share 288 Views no discussions Tweet Share Share Sharing is caring! The Ministry of Agriculture made its annual Christmas donations to Charitable Organizations around the island on Wednesday 21 December 2016. Grotto Home for the Homeless, Dominica Infirmary, Princess Margaret Hospital, Love One Teach One Foundation, Chances, Portsmouth Hospital and Grange Home for the Aged, were among the beneficiaries of this year’s donation. The food baskets included groceries as well as ground provisions, pork, chicken, fish, fruits and vegetables. “We believe around Christmas time is an opportunity to bring cheer, so every year around this time, we do this activity where we give too homes hospitals, and the different institutions that we have where they take care of our less fortunate,” Director of Agriculture, Ricky Brumant stated.Brumant thanked the farmers who had given to this effort, thanking them for being mindful of the needs of the less fortunate persons in the different communities. Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture, Harold Guiste, noted that the department is happy to be providing these food baskets to those who require the extra help.“We are bringing Christmas cheer from the ministry, with what we call the Ministry of Agriculture Food Basket, which we give to deserving persons in our communities who require this type of service,” Guiste stated. He noted that the ministry is pleased to be able to make some people happy, and to be able to contribute to them having a merry Christmas.Representative of the Grotto Home, Lucita John, expressed gratitude to the ministry, and stated that the donations would go a long way for the residents of Grotto Home.“We at the Grotto Home are happy to receive this at Christmas, because the residents have been looking forward to your visit. We know that it will go a long way to having a merry Christmas. And we thank the government and the citizens especially the farmers who donated from their farms, to help others, so thank you,” John noted.– / 11 LocalNews Seven charities benefit from Agriculture Minister’s Food Basket by: Dominica Vibes News – December 21, 2016
Tim Whelan Related TopicsAndrew MillerClevelandCleveland IndiansMLB CLEVELAND– On Friday, the Cleveland Indians announced that they activated LHP Andrew Miller from the 60-day Disabled List. The Indians designated RHP Zach McAllister for assignment.The Indians have had their issues with the bullpen throughout the season. But right before the trade deadline, the Indians acquired LHP Brad Hand and RHP Adam Cimber from the San Diego Padres. Since the beginning of June, the Indians bullpen has slowly worked its way back to being one the baseball’s top bullpen.Manager Terry Francona will have to figure out how to utilize his bullpen. This is most certainly a good problem to have. The Indians already have one of the top pitching rotations in baseball.On most nights, you should expect to get a good five to six innings from your starters. The biggest key for Francona to figure out is who he wants to use in the seventh, eighth, and ninth innings.Hand was the closer in the Padres and has already closed a couple games for the Indians. With closer Cody Allen trying to work out some of his mechanics, Francona has used both Allen and Hand in different spots. With Andrew Miller returning, Francona should continue to try different methods in figuring out where everyone fits. The Indians are 10 games ahead in first place in AL Central, and as a result, can afford to mess around with the bullpen for the time being in preparation of October baseball.
Dear Editor,In Shakespeare’s ‘Julius Caesar’, Cassius, a nobleman, in the interest of his country, advised his friend Brutus thus, ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.’Paraphrasing this in the context of the AFC, the fault is not in the Cummingsburg Accord, but in the inability of the AFC leaders to act in the interest of the party’s members and supporters by promoting the policies and fundamental principles which they have so gloriously expounded in their Action Plan 2011. I was a member then.However, the AFC members and supporters — at least some of them — were willing to forgive and forget what was said about both the PPP and the PNC by co-founders of the Party, Messrs Ramjattan and Trotman. Ramjattan had said: “Over four decades of PNC and PPP Governments have left us bruised, weary and hopeless”, while his counterpart, Trotman, had said in his own inimitable style, “For 45 years, Guyana has had the same parties making turns in the wrong directions, disappointing and betraying its citizens…’.But alas! After just over two years, the AFC has made numerous ‘wrong turns’, with the GECOM unilateral appointment making it clear that the party has become a docile ‘bride’ in the PNC’s harem.The AFC leaders have deviated so far away from their manifesto that it is difficult to discern their original identity. They have been consumed, and have become mere pawns to the PNC-dominated Government. Their minimal input has been relegated to agreeing or disagreeing, as the need arises.The Cummingsburg Accord is only about ‘sharing the spoils’, and nothing else matters. Even the involvement of civil society was decisively excluded. The 60/40 partnership between APNU and AFC was the crème de la crème; but this was just mere writing.The AFC leadership, chaperoned by the experienced campaigner Moses Nagamootoo, who is adept at damage control, is quoted earlier this year as saying that, “After two years in office, things have changed, and the AFC is of the belief that the time has come for the Cummingsburg Accord to be renegotiated”.On the other hand, according to WPA’s Tacuma Ogunseye, the Cummingburg Accord is more in favour of the AFC than APNU. He rationalised this by concluding that the 10% AFC got 40% of the ‘spoils’, therefore renegotiation is out of the question. In other words, they got a lot more than they deserved.The AFC is cognizant that Ogunseye is correct, yet there is now haste to review the Accord before ‘Lovers Day’ 2018. This time, the call for review will, apart from its usual endorsement of APNU’s decisions, include some issues which will be mere attempts to placate the AFC’s rapidly dwindling support base. This is the guile of the AFC leadership.Now being faced with extinction, since their main financial supporters in the USA and Canada have exposed the AFC’s useless appendage roles to the PNC, they have now once again moved to ‘revise’ the Accord.However, the problem with the AFC is the fact that the leaders have lost sight of what they stood for: the fight against corruption, massive squandermania, cronyism, and the fight for transparency and accountability. All of these have become very endemic in this Government while the AFC leaders are rooted in enjoying the ‘good life’, with their silence becoming unbearable with each passing day.What immediately comes to mind is that the AFC leaders are deathly afraid that, should they speak out against these ‘wrongs’, they will be unceremoniously kicked out, not unlike the UF when they spoke about the corruption of the PNC. But I do have a strong prognostication that some AFC leaders will be baptized into the PNC (it seems some have already done so) to save their status quo, especially when President Granger’s Atlanta speech comes to mind about how power should be retained based on the PNC’s past strategies.Has this Atlanta plan been set in motion with the unilateral appointment of the GECOM Chairman? Are some AFC leaders privy to this plan, hence the need to save their material gains?Time will tell, as it always does.Yours sincerely,Haseef YusufFormer AFC member
Former West Ham captain has revealed to talkSPORT that he is planning to stay in London as he begins his search for a new club.The midfielder left Upton Park by mutual consent this week after being told he couldn’t be guaranteed first-team football by new manager Slaven Bilic.But Nolan insists his exit was on good terms and was happy to leave and allow the boss to start planning the Hammers’ future.“I think everyone was a bit surprised, but it’s the best thing for both parties, really,” he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“It’s been a fantastic time for me at West Ham, I’ve really enjoyed it. The club has been fantastic to me and I think I’ve done a great job for them, but it’s important now to look to the future now.“Me and Slaven sat down over the last few weeks and decided the best thing for both the club and myself was for me to move on and for him to put his stamp on his team.“I’m happy to get out of the way for him to do that. I think he deserves that chance and I’m hoping West Ham do really well.”Asked if he had any plans for his next venture, the midfielder revealed he is putting family first and is eager to remain in the capital.“I’m going to take a few days now and sit back and look at my options. I’m quite willing to do anything, but it’s got to be right for me and the family,” he added.“I think I’m going to stay down in London, my kids are settled here.“Hopefully something will happen soon. I want to get back in and hopefully over the weekend I’ll all be a bit clearer.”