McIlroy shoots worst opening round at Masters

first_imgAUGUSTA, Ga. – Rory McIlroy’s circuitous journey continues. Earlier this week, a surprisingly upbeat McIlroy broke down where he is with his game at the moment for the media masses. “I’m just at the start of a journey here that I know will get me back to where I want to be,” he explained. This is the Masters. This is where McIlroy completes his transition from a great player to a legend. This is where the Northern Irishman completes the career Grand Slam and joins the likes of Nicklaus, Woods, Hogan, Sarazen and Player. This isn’t where a player of McIlroy’s caliber comes to find his game or start a “journey,” and yet there he was early Thursday mired at the bottom of those iconic leaderboards. He bogeyed three consecutive holes, starting at No. 5, and added a fourth at the ninth to turn at 3 over. Historically, McIlroy has struggled early in big events. His last two starts at the Masters were over-par efforts (75 last November and 73 in 2019) and he has just two first-round cards in the 60s at this tournament in his career. But this was different. 85th Masters Tournament: Full-field scores | Full coverage His work with new swing coach Pete Cowen has been intense. The duo has spent a good part of Masters week digging holes into the tournament practice area as the 31-year-old tries to reconnect with his old swing. Say what you will about Rory’s game, but his issues don’t stem from a lack of effort. The Masters might be where McIlroy’s career remains on hold but it’s no place for the unsure or unprepared, particularly on a crusty Thursday when the course flexed all that fast-and-firm muscle that was missing at the November Masters. It’s hard to swing with conviction when you’re still in the courting phase. “I think more than anything else around here, it’s trusting that on these side slopes and having these balls that are 2 feet above you.  That was sort of what happened on 13,” said McIlroy, who bogeyed that par 5 “It’s that part of it where I’m on the range off a flat lie, yeah, perfect, I can do it every time, but then once you get on the golf course and you get these different lies and different shots and different winds, that’s the litmus test right there, and it still didn’t feel quite 100%.” The byproduct of that uncertainty was an opening 76 and a share of 62nd place, out of 88 players, when he completed his round. It was the worst opening round of his career at Augusta National and his worst start at a major since the 2019 Open Championship. But if you’re looking for a disgruntled golfer, Rory’s not your guy. There were bright spots on an otherwise cloudy day. He was pleased with his wedge shot approach into the 14th hole, his drive on No. 15 and his 7-iron into that green, as well as his 9-iron tee shot at No. 16. Oh, and his drive at the last was encouraging. “I was starting to get into a rhythm,” he said. “I wish I could have kept going. Might have given myself a few more chances. But there were some good shots coming down the stretch there.” Struggling golfers rarely want to “keep going.” Most are more than happy to be off the course, but that’s not where McIlroy is at the moment. Few in the game at this level are as adapt at turning lemons into lemonade and a scrappy opening day, even at the tournament that means the most to him at this juncture in his career, is no reason to question himself. As he explained earlier this week, the journey is going to take some time to get back to where he once was as the world’s top-ranked golfer and a regular contender at major championships. He also explained that there will be bumps along the way. Day’s like Thursday when a game that once seemed so easy is a non-stop struggle. Golf Central Watch: Rory hits dad with errant approach shot BY Golf Channel Digital  — April 8, 2021 at 4:45 PM Rory McIlroy’s errant approach shot on the seventh hole struck a familiar person among his gallery at the Masters. There was no better example of this than on the seventh hole. Reeling following back-to-back bogeys, he pulled his tee shot into the pines left of the fairway and in his attempt to manufacture a shot to the green he hit his father, Gerry, in the leg with his second shot. “I knew it was my dad when I was aiming at him,” McIlroy laughed. “It was a perfect shot; it was dead straight. But I think he was OK. He didn’t limp away. He walked away pretty swiftly, so that was all right.” Gerry McIlroy was fine and so is Rory. McIlroy understands better than anyone else that this circuitous journey will take some time.last_img read more

Exclusive: Details of Mica scheme formally published

first_img Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Exclusive: Details of Mica scheme formally published General election candidate Charlie McConalogue says the devil is now very much in the detail:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/charliemica5pm.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Twitter WhatsApp Facebook Previous articleMeeting to discuss St Joseph’s cancelled because of minister’s ‘non engagement’Next articleA Donegal win in Waterford could prove vital – Maxi Curran News Highland Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Google+ WhatsApp Pinterest DL Debate – 24/05/21 Facebook Twitter AudioElections 2020Homepage BannerNews Google+ As expected, the Government has officially signed off on the long awaited Mica Redress Scheme today.The scheme which has so far, had €40 million committed to it was finally signed off by the Attorney General this morning, putting an end to months of waiting.This green light means that Donegal County Council will now be in a position to mobilize a specialist team and begin accepting and processing applications.Outgoing Minister Joe McHugh has been giving more details about the developments this afternoon:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/joemica.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. By News Highland – January 31, 2020 Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterestlast_img read more

New EVM Cityline for Soar Valley Community Bus

first_imgSoar Valley Community Bus’s new EVM Cityline mini seats 16 passengersSoar Valley Community Bus of Sutton Bonington, Leicestershire has added a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter with low-floor Cityline conversion to its fleet, supplied by EVM Direct (0845 520 5160).It has 16 Kiel Ligero seats and it is fully accessible to wheelchair users, with a dedicated space on the offside in the low-floor area.They board via a 120cm Masats double-leaf sliding door, and tracking is fitted in both the floor and the sidewall to aid securement.An in-dash air-conditioning unit is fitted along with a saloon heater booster, along with panoramic side double-glazing.last_img read more

Macron wants UK border moved as Eurotunnel warns of post-Brexit migrant flood: reports

first_imgThe U.K.’s decision to leave the EU could lead to “increased migrant pressure” in the summer months, according to the CEO of Eurotunnel, at a time when French politicians are threatening to scrap a deal that allows Britain to stop migrants on the French side of the Channel Tunnel.The Brexit vote could make migrants believe the border between the U.K. and France will become “a huge wall, similar to the Berlin Wall, almost impossible to overcome,” leading them to flood into the country while they still can, Jacques Gounon, the head of the company that operates the tunnel between Britain and France, said Monday, media reports.Gounon’s warnings come as Emmanuel Macron, the French economy minister, joined the call for an end to a bilateral deal that effectively moved Britain’s border with France to the French side of the Channel, according to reports. Macron joined Calais Mayor Natacha Bouchart in calling for the Le Touquet deal, which allows U.K. border officials to stop migrants in France, to be scrapped.For now, Gounon said he doesn’t plan to change the way his company cooperates with U.K. border authorities.“Because it is very efficient, we are catching and giving to the police force all the information in order to protect the site and to capture the migrants. I don’t see what could be done more,” he said. Also On POLITICO Calais mayor wants migrant camps moved to UK By Lawrence Wakefieldlast_img read more

Video: Car Goes Airborne, Crashes into Maryland Restaurant

first_imgLANDOVER, Md. (WUSA) –  The driver of a BMW traveling at high speed down Martin Luther King Jr. Highway lost control of the car and crashed into a Kentucky Fried Chicken Restaurant at about 6:30 p.m. Monday, Prince George’s County police said. Police have identified the driver as 29-year-old Hellena Louise Smith.Officials say a speeding BMW hit a curb at the intersection of Sheriff Road and Martin Luther King Highway Monday night, sending the vehicle flying into the air, flipping repeatedly until it smashed into trees, a car vacuum at an adjacent gas station, and a fence separating the gas station from the restaurant. The vehicle then crashed into a red SUV parked at the KFC.  The driver of that car was also hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.Julie Parker, spokeswoman for the Prince George’s County Police Department, says investigators believe the person killed in the crash was the driver of the BMW.  At least two others were injured and taken to local hospitals.The impact of the crash shattered the large glass windows of the KFC, sending broken shards throughout the restaurant. Those inside the restaurant scrambled to get out of the way as debris rained all over the area.The Police Collapse Team is on location to secure the structure so an investigation can begin.  Authorities say it may take weeks to sort out the details, including why the BMW was traveling so fast.last_img read more