DP World Says London Court Ruled against Djibouti

first_imgzoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pexels under CC0 Creative Commons license An Arbitral Tribunal of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) has found that the Government of Djibouti’s action of seizing control of the Doraleh Container Terminal from DP World was illegal, DP World informed.The LCIA Tribunal has ruled that Doraleh Container Terminal’s Concession Agreement “remains valid and binding notwithstanding Law 202 and the 2018 Decrees.”Law 202 and the referenced decrees were devices enacted by Djibouti to seek to evade Djibouti’s contractual obligations, and these have been found to be ineffective in law, according to a statement released by DP World.“DP World will now reflect on the ruling and review its options,” the port operator added.On 22 February 2018, the Government of Djibouti seized control of the Doraleh Container Terminal from DP World, who designed, built and operated the terminal following a concession awarded in 2006.Djibouti has insisted so far that the contract termination was done via a transparent legal process, highlighting that DP World lost all rights to the concession contract.The government claimed that the decision was made after failed attempts to renegotiate the concession terms and that it is grounded on the general interest of the country’s citizens.Namely, the country was not satisfied with the revenues from the operation of the terminal, adding that its poor performance was hampering the economic development and growth of Djibouti.Following the termination, DP World launched a new arbitration in February 2018 seeking a declaration that the concession was valid and binding on the government.last_img read more

In the news today June 8

first_imgSeven stories in the news for Friday, June 8———DOUG FORD RIDES POPULISM TO POWER IN ONTARIO VOTEDoug Ford is Ontario’s premier-elect after a populist wave carried him and the Progressive Conservatives to power last night. They won the Ontario election with 76 seats by dialling in to voters’ economic anxiety and anger with a scandal-plagued Liberal government. The NDP under Andrea Horwath will form the Official Opposition with 40 seats. The Liberals lost official party status by capturing just seven seats and their leader, Kathleen Wynne, won her Toronto riding but resigned as party leader.———SENATE PASSES HEAVILY AMENDED POT BILLThe Senate approved legislation to legalize recreational marijuana last night, but with nearly four dozen amendments that the government may not entirely accept. Bill C-45 passed 56-30 with one abstention, over the objections of Conservative senators who remained opposed. The bill must now returns to the House of Commons, where the government will decide whether to approve, reject or modify the changes before ending it back to the Senate for another vote.———EASTERN ONTARIO BUS CLAIMS THIRD LIFEOntario Provincial Police say a third passenger injured in a bus crash in eastern Ontario on Monday has died. The passenger was identified as 60-year-old Chinese woman Weiping Lu. Police also said two other people badly injured in the crash remain in hospital with life-threatening injuries, but their conditions have improved and they are now in stable condition. A tour bus carrying 37 people crashed into a rock formation by the side of Highway 401 near Prescott, Ont. The cause remains under investigation.———LATEST JOB NUMBERS OUT TODAYStatistics Canada will release the jobs report for May this morning. In April, when wage growth reached its highest level in nearly six years, the economy posted a slight net loss of 1,100 jobs as the unemployment rate that held steady at 5.8 per cent for a third month in a row. StatsCanada said the decline in jobs in April was so small, the federal agency did not consider it statistically significant.———FEDS SAY PHOENIX BACKLOG CUT BY 25,000The federal government says the recent hiring of new staff at its pay centre in Miramichi, N.B., has helped cut the backlog of problem files created under the troubled Phoenix pay system. The backlog of transactions involving overpayments or underpayments of civil servants was cut by 25,000 in May, compared with the previous month. The department said roughly 347,000 transactions beyond its normal workload were still waiting in the queue as of May 30.———BILLY-RAY BELCOURT WINS GRIFFIN POETRY PRIZEBilly-Ray Belcourt sobbed as he accepted the $65,000 Griffin Poetry Prize last night, sharing his hopes that his writing can help bring about a world that Indigenous people would want to live in. The 23-year-old of the Driftpile Cree Nation in Alberta was announced as the Canadian winner of the lucrative prize at a swanky Toronto gala for “This Wound is a World,” published by Frontenac House. Belcourt was momentarily speechless by emotion as he took to the stage to accept his prize.———WASHINGTON CAPITALS WIN FIRST STANLEY CUPThe Washington Capitals are celebrating their first Stanley Cup in their 44-year history after slipping past the Vegas Golden Knights 4-3 last night in Game 5 of the final to take the series 4-1. Washington captain Alex Ovechkin collected a goal in the game — his 15th goal of the post-season — and captured the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. This is the first major championship for Washington since the NFL’s Redskins won the Super Bowl in 1992.———ALSO IN THE NEWS TODAY:— The Government of Canada hosts the 2018 G7 Summit through to June 9.— A demonstration against the G7 summit is planned in Quebec City.— Conservative Party Leader Andrew Scheer holds a media availability near the U.S. border at Saint-Bernard-de Lacolle, Que.— Ontario party leaders Doug Ford, Kathlen Wynne and Andrea Horwath will each hold a news conference.— In Calgary, two victims of ski coach Bertrand Charest, along with Sheldon Kennedy, call for action to stop abuse in sport.— The Alberta government will announce funding for autism programs and services.last_img read more

WHY WOULD THEY EVEN THINK THAT AVRIL LAVIGNE ADDRESSES CLONE CONSPIRACY THEORY

first_imgAdvertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Twitter The 34-year-old finally addressed the theory during a phone interview with KIIS FM’s Kyle and Jackie O Show in Australia on Thursday.“What about, did you laugh at the rumours that went around where you no longer exist and there’s a clone of you?” Jackie asked, to which Avril laughed and said they were strange.“Yeah some people think that I’m not the real me, which is so weird! Like, why would they even think that,” she added.According to officials of the radio show, the interview then suffered technical issues. They humorously wrote on the website, “Avril went a bit robotic, cut out and times, and even accidentally started pressing random buttons making a beep sound! Is it just a coincidence that things started going haywire with the line as soon as we asked about the Melissa theories? Or was someone doing it…DELIBERATELY!!”A source close to the Complicated star previously told Gossip Cop in 2017 that she was “mildly amused” by the “bizarre” theory.Avril is currently promoting her new album Head Above Water. It marks her first fresh material in three years, after dropping out of the spotlight to battle Lyme disease. Login/Register With: Avril Lavigne has finally responded to a long-running conspiracy theory which suggested she died years ago and was replaced by a clone.The theory hit the Internet back in 2005, with believers claiming that the Sk8er Boi singer began using a body double named Melissa during the height of her career because she was struggling to deal with fame, but then Avril “died” and was replaced with Melissa full-time.People have spent years trying to find evidence to prove this theory is true, with their so-called proof including the singer’s changing style and supposed differences in her facial features. Facebook Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more