Tags :apassociated presscaliforniadaily pressNewssanta monica daily pressshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentCalifornia rain brings flooding streets, swelling riversCalifornia Gov. Brown’s top adviser dies after cancer battleYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall10 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson21 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter21 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor21 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press21 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press21 hours ago HomeNewsCalifornia utility to cut power in areas at grave fire risk Mar. 23, 2018 at 5:01 amNewsCalifornia utility to cut power in areas at grave fire riskAssociated Press3 years agoapassociated presscaliforniadaily pressNewssanta monica daily press California’s Pacific Gas & Electric Co. will start switching off power to minimize sparks in vulnerable areas during times of extreme fire danger, it said Thursday, as state investigators examine whether the utility’s equipment set off deadly Northern California wildfires.The move for pre-emptive power cutoffs is one that some local officials and fire survivors have urged after recent wildfires. PG&E and some other state utilities previously have resisted it, arguing that cutting off power carries its own risks, including to patients dependent on electrical equipment.The change was one of a slate announced Thursday by the utility in the aftermath of Northern California wildfires that killed 44 people last October, and have left the utility facing what could be hundreds of millions of dollars — or even more — in liability.The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection still is investigating the causes of the spate of October wildfires. Records released so far in the probe show that tree limbs or whole trees fell into power lines in the areas where many of the near-simultaneous fires began, whipped up by fierce dry winds.PG&E is now drafting guidelines for shutting down power in areas at risk during extreme fire danger, spokesman Matt Nauman said. Any temporary shut-offs would likely happen during California’s summer and fall fire season, and would be done in coordination with officials and with public notice, Nauman said.“Turning off electric power lines can have an immediate and broad impact on public safety,” Nauman said. “At the same time, we recognize that there may be situations in which proactively turning off electric power lines is warranted.”State utility regulators held at least one public hearing earlier this year studying the usefulness of shutting power to select areas during times of high winds and parched brush and grass.San Diego Gas & Electric in Southern California cut off about 12,000 customers during high winds and wildfires last December, only to have some customers complain, that utility said.PG&E also will talk with communities to “determine where it makes sense to underground” power lines, or bury them underground rather than run them above ground on poles, Nauman said, in another change called for by some officials in areas hit by fires. Even buried lines are vulnerable to weather damage, quakes, flooding, and unwitting damage from heavy equipment, PG&E officials say.The utility also plans to make its electrical system more resilient against high winds and fire, including replacing some wooden poles with steel.Other planned changes include an around-the-clock wildfire prediction and response center in San Francisco, and the hiring of firefighters on retainer.PG&E suspended shareholder dividends late last year, citing rising potential for significant liability in the deadly October fires.State investigators and courts earlier found PG&E responsible for a 2015 fire that killed two people and burned hundreds of homes and other structures in and around the northern Sierra Nevada.PG&E in that fire had failed to cut back brush around its equipment, leaving a pine tree to slump against a power line, investigators said.
WhatsApp Google+ The Vice President of the Garda Representative Association says Gardai are growing increasingly concerned over some people potentially socialising on St. Patrick’s Day following weekend scenes in Milford. Two men have been charged and a teenager arrested after three Gardai were assaulted in a house in Milford on Saturday afternoon.Two Gardai were hospitalised and one treated at the scene for injuries they sustained while responding to reports of a potential breach of Covid-19 regulations.Vice President of the GRA and Donegal based Garda Brendan O’Connor says the incident in Milford proves how dangerous the job can be for Gardai:Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/brendan.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. WhatsApp News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Google+ Previous article‘Vote of confidence in Letterkenny’ with major jobs boostNext articleMove to suspend use of AstraZeneca vaccine was ‘right call’ News Highland RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Fears for unrest on St. Patrick’s Day after scenes in Milford Pinterest Facebook By News Highland – March 15, 2021 Facebook Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Pinterest Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Twitter AudioHomepage BannerNews
Subscribe to the Horse Sport newsletter and get an exclusive bonus digital edition! More from News:MARS Bromont CCI Announces Requirements For US-Based RidersThe first set of requirements to allow American athletes and support teams to enter Canada for the June 2-6 competition have been released.Canadian Eventer Jessica Phoenix Reaches the 100 CCI4*-S MarkPhoenix achieved the milestone while riding Pavarotti at the inaugural 2021 CCI4*-S at the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event.Tribunal Satisfied That Kocher Made Prolonged Use of Electric SpursAs well as horse abuse, the US rider is found to have brought the sport into disrepute and committed criminal acts under Swiss law.Washington International Horse Show Returns to TryonTIEC will again provide the venue for the WIHS Oct. 26-31 with a full schedule of hunter, jumper and equitation classes. Originally scheduled for June 18-21, the second edition of the Longines Masters of Lausanne won’t be going ahead, EEM, the founder, owner and organizer of the event announced today. The decision was taken as a precautionary measure, in view of the intense and unpredictable developments in the COVID-19 epidemic which is currently striking Europe and the rest of the world.“To date and, in the current state of the global health crisis, no one knows whether sporting and cultural events will be able to go ahead in Switzerland in mid-June. No one can guarantee that we will be out of this crisis, that we will be able to welcome horses and the public and deliver the wonderful event that everyone is awaiting. More importantly, the current dialogue with suppliers and partners, who, given the context, may be reluctant or even unable to operate due to containment and/or due to the economy being at a standstill, means that running the event is made impossible. The Longines Masters Series is world-renowned for its excellence, a level that we are not sure we can achieve under the current conditions for preparation,” explained Christophe Ameeuw, founder and president of EEM.“After the cancellation of the Longines Masters of Hong Kong and Asia Horse Week, we have cautiously proceeded with the organization of the Longines Masters of Lausanne, with the passion that characterizes the team surrounding me. Despite this, wisdom dictates that we should forego the Swiss leg of our series this year. This is a difficult and strange period: it is up to us, as players in the global equestrian sector, to take heed of the lessons we are learning, and start building our world for tomorrow.”The Longines Masters Series is an intercontinental series of show jumping competitions, recognized by the FEI, Fédération Equestre Internationale. The best riders and horses of the world take part in this series. The next stage in the series will be the Longines Masters of Paris, from December 3 to 6, 2020. Tags: show jumping, COVID-19, Longines Masters of Lausanne, Email* Horse Sport Enews SIGN UP We’ll send you our regular newsletter and include you in our monthly giveaways. PLUS, you’ll receive our exclusive Rider Fitness digital edition with 15 exercises for more effective riding.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The WeWork-let Cursitor Building in London played host to the flexible workspace giant’s AGMSource: I Am CursitorLast month, Japan’s SoftBank indicated a wish to funnel $10bn (£7.8bn) more into the serviced office business, on top of $4.4bn invested last year. The former stake valued the business at a silly $20bn, the second at a completely barmy $40bn. Revenues have soared: $436m in 2016 to $836m last year, to ‘an annualised rate’ of $2.3bn by next month. Losses over 2016 and 2017 of $1.3bn almost exactly matched income. In the first half of this year, $723m was lost. WeWork’s cumulative losses since 2016 look likely to reach $2.5bn by this December.“WeWork feels like a gambler, with an unimaginably high pile of chips, playing against Regus and traditional landlords”WeWork is now no mere unicorn. More a 1,000lb gorilla, with a $2.5bn ball chained to its ankle. The business, established in 2010 by vegan Adam Neumann, has 280 encampments, no meat served, in 75 cities across 23 countries.Last December, there were 208,000 desk spaces across 18m sq ft of space, each earning $4,166 a year, according to a prospectus issued in April to bond investors. The cost of adding each new desk is put at $5,631. Result? Not misery, not yet. Still a joyful determination to keep expanding.Hunt for spaceWeWork employs 500 staff at Devonshire House in the City, paying £58m for a 10% stake in the 620,000 sq ft complex in April. It’s WeWork’s third acquisition in London – it owns 120 Moorgate and 51 Eastcheap, jointly with Rhône Capital. The business now runs 2.6m sq ft of space in more than 40 London buildings. Secured via outright purchase, persuading landlords to joint venture, or simply by taking a long lease. JLL, CBRE and C&W are all out hunting for acres more space in Manchester, Birmingham and Scotland.A precis of Greg’s undoubtedly compelling pitch: “We are 92% let in London. We want to double from 40 to 80 buildings by next year. We are currently negotiating five or six transactions. We know we are coming toward a correction. We are diversifying by mitigating risk. We are doing deals very differently from two or three years ago. We are looking to share with landlords. We do that and keep up our occupation levels; it means we will be here for the long term. We are not saying we are taking over.”Find out more – The cult of WeWorkThe fifth floor was still packed at 7pm. The atmosphere, All Bar One. The clientele mostly in their 20s. Customers will pay high prices in the right bar, so to speak, just to be with the right crowd. I say this at the weekend to a young relative visiting from San Francisco.He works for a profitable unicorn. He snorts: “We got out of our WeWork offices in New York. Noisy, small and full of people who want to feel successful, but aren’t yet. But they are willing to pay for swanky offices to impress investors. WeWork has tapped a deep vein.”Peter Bill is a journalist and author of Planet Property Behind came bearded Freddie Case, UK manager of Broker and Real Estate Agents Partnerships, a former sales manager with Your Golf Travel in similar hip attire.A crowd from the aptly named TRADS tenant rep network set down on Planet Hip last week. Landing on the communal fifth floor of WeWork’s Cursitor Building on Chancery Lane for their AGM. After AOB, the Greg and Freddie show ran against a background hubbub of occupants supping free Meantime London Lager. The pair made an evangelical pitch, clapping when they made a point, folding arms in unconscious unison when challenged.Miley is halted minutes into his pitch when challenged with the inevitable accusation “you are just a house of cards”, referring to the losses being piled up as WeWork expands with atomic force. Mmm… WeWork actually feels more like a gambler, with an unimaginably high pile of chips, playing against Regus and traditional landlords. The tenant rep chip is marked: ‘Your take is 10% of our take.’ Landlords need to match these fees, of course, on top of doling out John Lewis vouchers to get TRADS members to even visit.
55 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Share Share Trinidad’s Attorney General, Faris Al-RawiPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Thursday September 17, 2015 – Sworn-in as Attorney General just last week following the People’s National Movement victory in the September 7 general elections, Faris Al-Rawi has asked for more time to make a decision on signing the document required for the extradition case of FIFA corruption accused Jack Warner to go forward.The request was made in a letter sent to Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar yesterday afternoon, shortly before the 4 p.m. deadline for the authority to proceed (ATP) document to be signed.The letter written by state attorney Brent Hallpike made an urgent application for a modest extension – until next Monday when Warner is scheduled to reappear in court – to decide whether an ATP should be issued.“The Attorney General had to apprise himself of all material relevant to the request of the United States of America for the extradition of Jack Warner,” the correspondence stated, adding that Al-Rawi had to give “most careful consideration” to the voluminous documents contained in the US statement of case, the Extradition Act and the Extradition Treaty.The state is also providing an opportunity for Warner’s legal team to make representations as to whether or not the ATP should be issued.The refusal of former attorney general Garvin Nicholas to allow that was the basis on which the former FIFA vice-president’s legal team had threatened to file for judicial review.Warner, 72, has been indicted in the US on racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracy charges. He is one of 14 current and former top FIFA and soccer marketing executives who are accused of exploiting their positions to take more than US$150 million in bribes over a 24-year period.He has maintained he is innocent of all charges and will fight his extradition. Tweet Share NewsRegional Trinidad AG asks for more time before signing Warner extradition documents by: Caribbean 360 – September 17, 2015
John Crytser, Zane DeVilbiss, Logan Drake, Eric Edwards, Aaron Elwess, Michael Fauber, Grey Ferrando, Shawn Fletcher, Tyler Frye, Bryce Garnhart, Albert Gill, Oreste Gonella, Daniel Gottschalk, Jordan Grabouski and Rick Green. And Garrett Sporthase, Jay Steffens, Caleb Stone, Shawn Strand, Matt Szecsodi, Regan Tafoya, Jeremy Thornton, Eric Tomlinson, Shadren Turner, Brandon Walsh, A.J. Ward, Will Ward, Jeff Waterman, Johnny Whitman and Marcus Yarie. Modified drivers receiving bonuses for winning a track championship(s) while competing with a crate engine were: “Chevrolet Performance has recognized IMCA racers for well over a decade and their support continues to grow each season,” IMCA Marketing Director Kevin Yoder noted. “We are proud to work with such an outstanding company and be able to give weekly dirt track racing recognition at the highest level in the industry.” In all, 174 drivers in the IMCA Modified, IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stock, Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod and Smiley’s Racing Products Southern SportMod divisions received $250 checks, mailed this month from the IMCA home office. Luke Johnson, Phillip Keller, Lucas Lamberies, Colby Langenberg, Austin Luellen, Austin Manzella, Damian Merritt, Rusty Montagne, Ryan Moser, Joshua Munsen and Gage Neal. Drivers in the Hobby Stock division getting bonus checks included: Justin Gregg, Travis Hagen, Randy Havlik, Robert Hellebust, Hardy Henderson, R. Royce Henry, Rob Hoffman, Chris Hortness, Darrell Hughes II, Racer Hulin, Jeff James, Nate Jones, Randy Klein and Cody Knecht. Jeffrey Abbey, Chris Abelson, Jeff Aikey, Bubba Alvarado, Drew Armstrong, Chaz Baca, Jerry Bailey, Eric Barnes, Brandon Beckendorf, Steven Bowers Jr., Cody Burke, Chad Clancy, Troy Cordes and Brian Cross. Mark Norris, Zach Olson, Travis Peery, Brady Petermann, Tyler Peterson, Brad Pounds, Russ Reinwald, Dereck Rhoden, Don Robertson Jr., Kyle Rohleder, Anthony Roth, Trent Roth, Cory Sample and Rob Slott. Tim Gonska, Tyler Hinrichs, Andy Hoffman, Chanse Hollatz, Scott Jeffery, Wally Jones, Corey Madden, Allison Pierce, Cory Probst, Leevi Runge and Reagan Sellard. Shawn LaRocque, Tyler Limoges, Nick Link, Clint Luellen, Steven McCollough, Ryan McDaniel, Josh McGaha, Bill McIntosh, Jake Mayden, Jeremy Meirhofer, Nick Meyer, Robert Miller, Brandon Monson, Bob Moore and Joel Myers. And Bryce Sommerfeld, Gerald Spalding Jr., Vance Tomlinson, Jeff Ware, Nicholas Wasik, Luke Wassom, Ryan Wilkerson, Cameron Wilkinson, Cody Williams and Leah Wroten. Chase Alves, Adam Birck, Jorddon Braaten, Mitch Boesel, Lance Borgman, Austin Charles, Steve Clancy, Brian Cooper, Brandon Dale, James Digiovanni and Joe Docekal. GRAND BLANC, Mich. – As part of one of the most lucrative programs for IMCA competitors, Chevrolet Performance has paid $43,500 in bonuses to drivers who won track championships while competing exclusively with crate engines in 2018. Craig Dorner, Tony Dugan, Jason Emmot, Colby Fett, Troy Gochanour, Joey Haase, Shawn Harker, Mark Harrison, Rex Higgins, Jeremy Hoff and Vern Jackson. Both the number of drivers receiving bonuses, and the total bonus amount, were the most ever in the history of the program. This was the second season in the current three-year bonus agreement with Chevrolet Performance, which has now awarded more than $280,000 to eligible drivers over the course of the crate engine track championship program. Northern SportMod drivers cashing bonus checks were: Shannon Anderson, Andrew Bertsch, Andrew Burg, Tathan Burkhart, Brandon Cox, Austin Davis, Nate DeSive, Ryan Fajman, Tony Fetterman, Jason Fusselman and Adam Goff. Craig Nieman, Jacob Olmstead, Cody Olsen, Mark Rodgers, Robby Rosselli, Cody Schroeder, Zach Schultz, Brandon Setser, David Siercks, Eric Sloan and Doug Smith. And Tyler Soppe, Nick Spainhoward, Austin Svoboda, Cody Thompson, Stan Tomlinson, Chris Toth, Gabe Tucker, Aaron Wetterlin, Jason Wright, Sean Wyett and Kevin Zeitner.