A fire outbreak, apparently caused by an unattended candle, last Saturday consumed five zinc houses in New Kru Town, rendering several families homeless and unspecified amounts of Liberian and US dollars destroyed. The incident took place about 10:30 p.m., according to landlord Mr. D. Sonpon Weah, who told journalists that he suspected the cause of the fire to be an unattended candle or a cigarette. “I was watching television in the other house when I heard the noise of fire outside,” said Weah. “So I rushed outside to find out that fire was already blazing in one of the rooms.” He said he rallied support from the community and many cameto help extinguish the fire. One of them that he could not identify reportedly picked up a gallon that contained ‘cane juice’ and poured it on the fire, which immediately increased its intensity. One of the victims, Ms. Christiana Alfred, (Ama) said she lost her business, including unspecified amounts of Liberian and US dollars. “The Liberian dollars could be more than 50,000, along with the US dollars,” she said. “Now everything is gone,” she cried. Ms. Alfred deals in cold water and soft drinks and draws her customers from the community and beyond. Meanwhile, Mr. Weah told the Daily Observer that his lap top and other important items, including his clothes, were burnt and he would need urgent support from the Liberia National Red Cross Society.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
zoom Malaysian port operator Westports Holdings Berhad saw its full year volumes drop by between seven and twelve percent in 2017, when compared to the previous year.The company achieved a container throughput of about 9 million TEUs for the twelve-month period ended December 31, 2017, decreasing from its record-breaking 9.95 million TEUs seen a year earlier.Westports informed that the result is within the volume guidance provided when the company announced the second quarter financial report in July 2017.Additionally, the company said that, from January 1, 2018, it is in full compliance with the new Malaysian Financial Reporting Standards (MFRS) 15 requirement.MFRS 15 will supersede MFRS 118 revenue, MFRS 111 construction contracts and revenue related interpretations issued by the Malaysian Accounting Standards Board.WHB started the transition towards MFRS 15 last year in January 2017.
zoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pexels under CC0 Creative Commons license An Arbitral Tribunal of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) has found that the Government of Djibouti’s action of seizing control of the Doraleh Container Terminal from DP World was illegal, DP World informed.The LCIA Tribunal has ruled that Doraleh Container Terminal’s Concession Agreement “remains valid and binding notwithstanding Law 202 and the 2018 Decrees.”Law 202 and the referenced decrees were devices enacted by Djibouti to seek to evade Djibouti’s contractual obligations, and these have been found to be ineffective in law, according to a statement released by DP World.“DP World will now reflect on the ruling and review its options,” the port operator added.On 22 February 2018, the Government of Djibouti seized control of the Doraleh Container Terminal from DP World, who designed, built and operated the terminal following a concession awarded in 2006.Djibouti has insisted so far that the contract termination was done via a transparent legal process, highlighting that DP World lost all rights to the concession contract.The government claimed that the decision was made after failed attempts to renegotiate the concession terms and that it is grounded on the general interest of the country’s citizens.Namely, the country was not satisfied with the revenues from the operation of the terminal, adding that its poor performance was hampering the economic development and growth of Djibouti.Following the termination, DP World launched a new arbitration in February 2018 seeking a declaration that the concession was valid and binding on the government.
Delaney WindigoAPTN National News The Human Rights Watch released a study on First Nations drinking water on Tuesday.Its report outlines that while Canada has an abundance of fresh water, it’s not safe to drink in many communities.The agency found there are 133 on-going boil water advisories in First Nations communities, and most of them are in [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, November 2, 2017 – Grand Bahama – In celebration of his 100th birthday tomorrow, special tribute was given to Olympian Sir Durwood Knowles on Wednesday, November 1, 2017, during an assembly at Walter Parker Primary School.In attendance for the special occasion were Sir Durwood’s daughter, Charlotte and nephew, Andy Knowles, members of the One Bahamas Executive Committee, Ministry of Education, former educators and principals and members of the Walter Parker Primary school board. The students entertained their special guests with a skit telling the story of Sir Durwood’s life, a dance by the Walter Parker Tappers and a song by the boys’ choir.Thanking the students for their tributes, Ms. Knowles said that her father will be publishing a book, “Never Give Up”, something she said, he never did. She told them of his struggle of getting started in sailing and having a few people believe in him. Vice-Principal, Rodney Bethel, made a presentation to Charlotte and Andy Knowles for Sir Durwood which was a written tribute.Shown from left are: Edna Y. Gomez, principal, Walter Parker Primary; Terry Gape, One Bahamas Executive Committee; Mr. Bethel; Ms. Knowles; Mr. Knowles; Cecil Thompson, One Bahamas Executive Committee; and Churchill Tener Knowles, One Bahamas Executive Committee.(BIS Photo/Lisa Davis) Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Chelsea are monitoring West Ham United’s Marko Arnautovic with a view to bringing him to Stamford Bridge when the transfer reopens.The former Stoke City forward has scored 16 goals in 46 games since joining the Manuel Pellegrini’s side in the summer of 2017 but is keen to move on from in search of UEFA Champions League football.The Austria international has confirmed this week, his desire to leave West Ham, and his brother and agent believes he’s ready for a new challenge,“He is ready for the next step,” Daniel Arnautovic who is the player’s agent told Gianluca Di Marzio, as quoted by the Metro.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.“It’s not like that he wants to leave, but we believe that the time has come that Marko takes a step forward in his career, maybe try to win a trophy, maybe the Champions League. The stats are on his side.”When he was asked if he could return to Italy, he replied:“Why not? Returning to Italy would be a good chance to prove that he wasn’t a bad signing.”“He was only 19 when he joined Inter and he made friends there. ‘He has a very good memory of Milan.”
Niko Kovac praised his players after Bayern Munich sealed a 2-1 win at Werder Bremen – but warned they must be more clinical in the future.That win meant the reigning champions would celebrate their first Bundesliga victory since October 27 thanks to Gnabry’s double.The Bavarians could have scored more in a game they dominated if they had been clinical enough in the game.Still, a 16th straight league triumph over their opponents rounded out a good week for Kovac, with Bayern having clinched a place in the Champions League knockout stages with a 5-1 thrashing of Benfica on Tuesday.Always nice to come back to Bremen. Today, we take the 3 points home with us 👨🏾🍳 #SG22 #SVWFCB #FCBayern pic.twitter.com/v4mGsxyjp7— Serge Gnabry (@SergeGnabry) December 1, 2018Match Preview: RB Leipzig vs Bayern Munich Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 RB Leipzig will have the chance to prove their title-winning capabilities when they host Bayern Munich today at 18:30 (CET).“My team turned in an exceptionally good display,” the Croatian told FourFourTwo via the club’s website. “We dominated the match technically, tactically but towards the end also in terms of fighting spirit. We did a really good job today.“If there’s something I find fault with, it’s our conversion of chances. I counted six, seven more gilt-edged chances we should have converted into goals.“But I liked it that way – without the ball, we all defended together, with quick turnovers. You saw we had space and could make use of our quality up front.“I’d like to congratulate my team on the performance.”
“America’s Freedom Bell” rings in new home at The Veterans Museum Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: May 6, 2019 May 6, 2019 Updated: 8:36 AM 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – America’s Freedom Bell to be officially unveiled at the Veterans Museum at Balboa Park.This celebratory occasion is in honor of the first public home of “America’s Freedom Bell” since the bell was cast on June 6, 2013, to “Honor Our Armed Forces Past, Present and Future.”Created to allow every American the opportunity to ring the bell to honor those who have served our nation, it has since travelled widely to Independence Hall, Arlington Cemetery, Pearl Harbor, Normandy Beach, and many other sites on national holidays and historically significant dates, but San Diego will be its first permanent home, according to organizers.The event will be at the Veterans Museum on Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom