Storm Bird trampled the opposition and galloped away with the spoils of the feature ‘Metro Mile’ event of the Boxing Day horse race meet staged at the Kennard Memorial Turf Club. With champion jockey, Kiran Razack in the stirrups, Storm Bird, of the Habibulla Racing Stables, toyed with its four rivals before pulling away on the final turn.The $1M first prize and the champion’s trophy compliments of the Trophy Stall were subsequently awarded to the steed’s handlers. Golden Blue Echo placed second while Settling Star settled for third. Defending champion, Lucky Star ended fourth.Quick results of the day’s programme.Race 1 (L Non Winner) Red WeaselPerfect ReturnOsana Touch GoldRace 2 (H and lower) T&T Good Will BoyNot This TimeRace 3 (Two Year Old Guyana Bred Maiden) Awesome Bandit Perfect PleasureShe’s a Man EaterMi Dia Blita Race 4 (L Open)Secret FlyerAwesome Banner Plane LandTouch GoldRace 5 (L Non Earner) MagalineDe Wicked CatOsana EscapeRace 6 (J & K Class)Mahaica StarTouch De CashUprisingUp Top Boss
ST JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC – Former One-Day International captain Jason Holder has been rested for the first two ODIs of the three-match series against Ireland starting next week, as selectors move to manage his “heavy workload”. The fast bowling all-rounder is the only change to the Kieron Pollard-led squad which went down to India last month on the subcontinent, and chief selector Roger Harper said Wednesday Holder’s engagement in all three formats meant it was important he was afforded the opportunity “to recharge his batteries”.“The decision was taken to rest Jason due to the heavy workload he has had over the last year,” Harper explained.“With an important year ahead for West Indies cricket, we saw this as the best opportunity to give him a break to recharge his batteries and refresh his mind so he could be ready to perform at his best as our Test captain throughout 2020, as the number one ranked all-rounder in Test cricket and an important member of the team in the white ball formats.” Holder led West Indies in ODIs for 4-½ years but was sacked following the series defeat to India in the Caribbean last August, which came in the wake of the Windies’ dismal campaign at the World Cup earlier in the year.He retained his spot in the side and also forced his way into the Twenty20 squad, after presiding over Barbados Tridents’ capture of the Caribbean Premier League title last October.The 28-year-old has continued in charge of the Test side and has emerged as the world’s leading all-rounder in the format, where he averages 32 with the bat and 26 with the ball. Last year, Holder played five of West Indies’ six Tests, 27 of his side’s 28 ODIs and nine of their 12 T20s.Meanwhile, selectors have resisted the temptation to make changes and have kept faith with the remainder of the squad despite the recent series loss to India which marked their 10th straight series defeat to the subcontinental powerhouses.There was no recall for left-handers Darren Bravo nor Kieran Powell in spite of their heavy scoring in last November’s Regional Super50, with fast bowler Oshane Thomas also overlooked despite his 17 wickets for Jamaica. Harper said despite the recent result against India, the Windies had exhibited qualities which suggested that improvements were being made.“The Afghanistan and Indian series told me that the team is making very positive strides,” he pointed out.“Winning the ODIs against Afghanistan, our first ODI series win for five years, followed by the very competitive performance in against India is testament to that. The team demonstrated a determination to compete and gave it every effort. “Against India the batting was consistent and while the bowling had its moments, it is clear that we have to improve our ‘death’ bowling. However, the fact that the team played in such an organised and competitive manner consistently augurs well going forward.”West Indies will face an Ireland side which has beaten them only once in 10 meetings but Harper labelled the series a “must win”.“This series against Ireland offers us the opportunity to build on the performances in India, build confidence as a team and for individual players,” he stressed.“Just like the series against Afghanistan, the Ireland series is an important one for us, one we must win.” SQUAD – Kieron Pollard (captain), Sunil Ambris, Roston Chase, Sheldon Cottrell, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Evin Lewis, Keemo Paul, Khary Pierre, Nicholas Pooran, Romario Shepherd, Hayden Walsh jr.
The inaugural President’s Cup Streetball knockout competition will commence on February 18th at the National Gymnasium, Mandela Avenue. In the opening match, North East La Penitence will battle Beterverwagting [BV] at 19:00hrs, while West Side Spartans will oppose Melanie at 19:30hrs in the second matchup. In the third fixture, Future Stars will match skills with Quiet Storm of Linden at 20:30hrs, with Albouystown facing off with Showstoppers in the fourth fixture at 21:00hrs.The fifth encounter at 21:30hrs will pit Alexander Village against Linden outfit Swag Entertainment while Rio All-Stars will take aim at Bartica unit Up-Top-Bosses from 22:00hrs.In the seventh encounter, Gold is Money will match skills with Smyth Street at 22:30hrs while Sparta Boss will battle Berbice All-Stars at 23:00hrs. The respective winners will advance to the quarterfinal section which is to be held on February 20th at the same venue. The other playing dates are February 25th [Semi-final] and 29th [Final]. Winner of the event will collect $500,000, with the runner collecting $300,000. The third and fourth placed side will receive $150,000 and $50,000 respectively.
FLORENCE HALL, Jamaica, CMC – Veerasammy Permaul’s 28th five-wicket haul in first class cricket helped cripple Jamaica Scorpions on the opening day of the sixth round encounter here yesterday. The 30-year-old left-arm spinner snared seven for 59 as the hosts, sent in at the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium, were dismissed for a disappointing 216 in their first innings.Test batsman Jermaine Blackwood top-scored with 59 – his third half-century in four innings – while wicketkeeper Denis Smith chipped in with 23 but no other Scorpions batsman passed 20.At the close, Guyana Jaguars were yet to get off the mark in the two overs available to them. With impressive victories in their last two outings, Scorpions started strongly when captain John Campbell (20) and Alwyn Williams (12) put on 40 for the first wicket. Left-arm pacer Raymon Reifer got the breakthrough when he squared up the left-handed Campbell and had him caught at the wicket, a dismissal which sparked a slide that saw three wickets fall for 20 runs.Williams followed in the next over, losing his off-stump to Permaul after missing a forward defensive prod and Paul Palmer was also bowled by the same bowler for four, driving at a good length delivery.Blackwood then came to his side’s rescue, posting 58 for the fourth wicket with Nkrumah Bonner (15) to take Scorpions to lunch at 80 for three. Afterwards, Blackwood paired with Smith to put on another 38 for the fifth wicket before becoming Permaul’s fourth wicket in the sixth over after tea, lbw pushing forward to a straightish delivery at 156 for five.There was no recovery for Scorpions, however, as they lost their last five wickets for just 44 runs.
What do you do if you are a professional boxer and the gyms in your city/state are closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic? If you are Elton Dharry, you travel out of state to New Jersey and Pennsylvania a few times a week to put in work at the open gyms.Despite the COVID-19 restrictions on the hard hit state of New York, the Brooklyn based boxer is doing everything possible to stay in fight shape.“If you stay ready, you won’t have to get ready,” Dharry told Stabroek Sport yesterday. According to the 34 year-old, he is staying prepared for whenever an opportunity presents itself. He is willing to face any world champion that has a super flyweight belt. “I’m willing to take on any of the champions in my division from any organization WBC, WBO, WBA and IBF” Dharry stated.He was advised by his management team that there is a huge possibility that he will get a crack at a world title soon owing to the pandemic. Said Dharry, “The champions are not fighting each other and it’s hard to unify titles right now. Because of the virus, there are no ticket sales so promoters will be trying to get fighters in the top 15 to face their champions.”Dharry boasted that he is willing to step up to any challenge.Guyana’s most exciting super flyweight pugilist concluded that he could be in the ring as early as September perhaps in Panama once international travel to that territory resumes. Note: Dharry has a record of 24 wins (14 KOs), six losses and one draw. It is noteworthy that Dharry’s five losses occurred in the very early part of his career and he had not lost a fight since 2010; he had won his last 21 consecutive fights before suffering a controversial stoppage versus former World Boxing Association (WBA) champion, Andrew Moloney in the latter’s hometown of Melbourne, Australia last November.
Share StumbleUpon Submit Share GiG lauds its ‘B2B makeover’ delivering Q2 growth August 11, 2020 Based in Stockholm Yamzu is a newly launched tournament platform that enables amateur players to compete in esports tournaments for cash and prizes.Jovan Radnic, YamzuCurrently the platform caters strictly to League of Legends players but more games are due to be added in the near future. Less than a month following its release, Yamzu has had over 1700 registrations.Yamzu CEO Asiad Majeed said: “The aim of our platform is to make esports scene available to everyone, not just to a small percentage of the gaming community.”He continued: “There are similar tournament platforms out there, but they often fail to deliver results due to their desire to make the platform more appealing to the investors. Yamzu is not like that- our goal is not to approach the investors, but the gamers that need our platform, especially in the regions where the esports industry is not developed enough.”Discussing how Yamzu also uses a different approach in promoting its esports platform Majeed stated: “We do not invest in huge marketing campaigns. Instead, we focus on Twitch streamers and influencers that truly understand potential that our platform gives to them- it can completely change the way influencers interact with their fans, making them active rather than passive viewers.”Yamzu also offers fixed sponsorship deals, and an affiliate system.Jovan Radnic, Head of Marketing at Yamzu, noted: “We are on a constant lookout for new faces and we encourage streamers to apply for the sponsorship opportunities we offer.” Related Articles BetInvest: The benefits of separating esports betting markets August 7, 2020 ESI Digital – No Drama Please… Esports growth should be treated as business as usual August 20, 2020
Spotlight delivers Racing Post translated services for Pari-Engineering Russia August 26, 2020 StumbleUpon Betfred counters Oppenheimer bid in race to rescue Phumelela August 26, 2020 Share Related Articles Submit Share Industry news sources have reported that John Haddock has left as Chief Executive Officer of independent bookmaker Betfred.Haddock departs following thirty years’ service with the Manchester-based bookmaker, having served as CEO since August 2014 when he replaced Fred Done at the head of the company after years serving as managing director.As yet, Betfred governance has not disclosed any details regarding Haddock’s departure. However, industry news sources report that company governance felt a leadership change was needed in order to reverse corporate performance.The independent operator’s 2015 fiscal filing with UK Companies House (posted July 2016) reported operating losses of £76 million, as Betfred struggled with new UK gambling taxes, higher operational costs combined with lower betting margins.The Racing Post reports that Betfred founder and chairman Fred Done has taken over Haddock’s duties temporarily. Done commented on the departure of Haddock.“John Haddock has departed from the Betfred Group as CEO. I would like to thank John for his 30 years of loyal unblemished service and I wish him well for the future. For the time being I shall be assuming all of John’s duties.”A Betfred stalwart, Haddock’s thirty years’ service with the bookmaker had seen him take on numerous executive roles, being a key stakeholder in Betfred’s retail expansion taking the operators betting shop portfolio from 400 shops in 2014 to its present +1400 inventory. Spotlight ups matchday commentary reach and capacity for new EPL Season August 21, 2020
PRESS RELEASE The Baltimore Ravens will continue to hold training camp at their Owings Mills training facility. For the first 15 years in the franchise’s history, camp was held in Westminster, Md. at McDaniel College. The Ravens’ 2011 training camp was held in Owings Mills.“We’ve had long, serious discussions about this decision, and, when all is said and done, we believe we can better prepare for the season by holding training camp here as opposed to McDaniel College or any other facility away from here,” team president Dick Cass explained. “We wanted to let the officials at McDaniel and at the hotel (Best Western) know as soon as we made the decision.“We owe much thanks to the leadership at McDaniel for their patience as we came to this decision and for all the outstanding help they have given the Ravens through the years. They have been a great partner, often going out of their way to make sure we could prepare our team at a high, high level,” Cass added.(Before becoming McDaniel College, the school was known as Western Maryland College and hosted the then-Baltimore Colts for training camp from 1953 through 1971. The Colts trained at the Colorado School of Mines in 1972, at Towson State University in 1973, at McDonogh School in 1974 and then at Goucher College from 1975 to 1983.)“In 1996, Westminster was the best place for us to have training camp,” general manager and executive vice president Ozzie Newsome explained. “How teams conduct training camp today is vastly different. Our football needs and requirements are different. The absence of two-a-days, how much space we need for the players and the meetings, the limited number of practices allowed by the new CBA (collective bargaining agreement), the importance of having an indoor field when the summer storms come – all of that and more football-influenced factors, had me recommend to Steve (Bisciotti) and Dick that we hold camp here.”Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti has mixed feelings about the move to Owings Mills. “From a football and team point of view, it’s an easy decision. Personally, this is difficult. Some of my best memories as a kid are my family’s visits to the Colts’ training camp in Westminster. Part of my devotion to the game and the players who made it great and are heroes to many of us, started on those visits. “We completely understand that this takes away an important part of our connection with our fans. I regret that,” Bisciotti continued. “Hopefully, we can find other ways to continue this outreach. We’ll have more to say on this as we develop these programs.”“We’ve discussed a variety of possible community interactions,” Cass added. “We are committed to having, at the minimum, three practices away from Owings Mills that would be open to the public with at least one of those at M&T Bank Stadium. We will have smaller groups of fans at practices here (at Owings Mills) and will have other community activities that include access to players and coaches. We want to do something in Westminster, and we are discussing some ideas. These will all have to fit into the first priority: getting the team ready for the regular season.“This is not a financial decision,” Cass continued. “Because of our training camp sponsors and partners, we did not lose money going to Westminster.”“We’ll miss having all those fans at practice,” head coach John Harbaugh said. “It was fun having them so close and, at times, pushing the team to higher levels with the way they cheered and encouraged us.”Cass and Newsome pointed out a number of issues that provoked the Ravens to make this decision:· Facilities at the team’s Owings Mills facility are conducive to the best practices, especially in bad weather when the team can quickly move inside without losing the limited practice time. The team’s state-of-the-art weight room, conditioning machines and medical/training areas are significantly better.· Ravens have outgrown the Best Western Hotel. “There aren’t enough rooms for our players, coaches and staff. Nor are there rooms for the individual position meetings that are an everyday part of football preparation,” Cass noted. (Each year the Ravens have added trailers to hold position meetings and use as office space for the staff.)· Technology requirements, including computer and video, have changed dramatically in recent years. Capacity at the hotel is not compatible with team needs.· The new CBA limits teams to one practice per day, and the efficiency provided in Owings Mills with meeting space, fields and video and IT operations allows the team to maximize the preparation for the season.
Nearly four months after Mike Tomlin’s controversial sideline incident in a game against the Ravens, the Pittsburgh Steelers learned Thursday that they will not be docked a draft pick by the NFL.The head coach was fined $100,000 but not penalized for stepping onto the field of play and interfering as Jacoby Jones appeared on his way to a touchdown on a second-half kickoff return. Tomlin’s presence on the field caused Jones to cut inside where he was eventually caught from behind, but the Ravens still won 22-20 over their AFC North rivals on Thanksgiving night.“I take full responsibility for my actions, and I apologize for causing negative attention to the Pittsburgh Steelers organization,” Tomlin said in a statement after the fine was announced in early December. “I accept the penalty that I received.”In the days following the incident, the league left open the possibility of the Steelers’ 2014 draft compensation being impacted due to Tomlin’s behavior, especially if the four extra points the Ravens may have scored — they only converted a field goal on the drive — would have impacted tiebreaker scenarios for the playoff race.Of course, the Steelers missed the playoffs after receiving no favors at the end of the Week 17 game between San Diego and Kansas City in which a penalty call was missed that would have given Chiefs kicker Ryan Succop another try at a game-winning field goal that would have knocked out the Chargers and landed 8-8 Pittsburgh in the AFC playoffs as the No. 6 seed. Instead, Pittsburgh joined Baltimore in missing the postseason in what many Ravens fans viewed as poetic justice from what had happened a month earlier.At the very least, the incident provided the latest chapter in what’s been regarded by many as the best rivalry in the NFL over the last decade.“It’s not my job to figure out intent. I’m glad we won the game,” said Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti about the incident at the end of the season. “My feelings for that move might have been a lot different [had we lost]. But, [it was] bizarre, weird, strange, unexplainable, and I think Mike was embarrassed about it. And I like Mike a lot. He’s a really good guy. His intent — that is completely in his court. He got fined for it, and again, he’s embarrassed as a competitor.”